Monday, January 17, 2011

Seattle May 2009

Seattle ranks as one of my favorite U.S. cities -- a vibrant metropolis with a sophisticated palette for coffee, food, music, and those hidden indie gems. My kindred spirit from college, Katrina, was the perfect hostess and guide. The weather was typical Pacific Northwest, but it had the charm of spring despite the rain. Cherry blossoms? In abundance.






















Shopping was fantastic -- most places were nestled in bohemian artsy neighborhoods and sold vintage items (I bought a LIFE Magazine in mint condition featuring Fred Astaire dancing with his son dated August 25, 1941)! I KNOW. It's currently on my coffee table encased in glass. En route to one particular shopping destination, I found some time and chatted with President Obama.

Seattle also inspired me to just run with it. Or from it.


Let's talk coffee with savory croissants, bagels, or the lingering smell of Piroshky Bakery around the corner. The origin of the Russian word "piroshky" is to feast, and delectable pies stuffed with various fillings on a cold, rainy day in historic Pike's Market with a steamy cup of coffee -- now, that's a feast.

 I did visit the original Starbucks with its original logo -- scandalous, perhaps?
Not your average Ariel.


And what is a visit to Seattle without the sublime and comforting voice of Iron & Wine? After waiting in the cold for nearly 4 hours, about 200 of us crowded in a tiny record store to hear Mr. Samuel Beam sing, croon actually.
















Another brightening moment was the Seattle Public Library.
It's tailored to the urban, modern and chic taste, and those who like to read of course ...

Katrina's interest is piqued by the alluring "Bitter Air of Exile."
I have other interests...

Yes, that's my face next to THE GREATS.

Lost in a sea of red in just another typical libary hallway.
Ready for the next travel adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, great times! Somehow Seattle is better when you are here, too. Miss you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to tell you to write a blog, but you beat me to the punch. ;-) xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete